Picks made Monday for fast track and on turf.
1. Bet on Bourbon – Horse likes to win and has drawn the rail and a field he can handle
8. Commercial Flash – Will be one closing at the end. Graham will have him in position
1. Higher Note: Good effort off extended layoff in last outing so there should be some improvement Monday.
7. She’s Jersey Tough. Cuts back in distance and drops in class. Race two back can win this one.
4. Carnelian – Coming off long layoff but working well. Showed some talent over summer.
6. Duxonthepond – Attracts Graham – another coming off a long layoff. Might be a good price play.
3. Royal Take Charge – An extremely impressive first outing win in November. Has the talent.
2. Non Violence – Another who won impressively in first start. Matches up well with top pick.
7. Basalt Street – Should be able to get good position behind early speedsters and pounce.
6. She’s Gone D’Wild – Dropping into easier company for top trainer. Merits a long look at price.
5. Omaha Red – Solid second place behind a talented horse in last race. Should get job done here.
6. Broken Rib – Might not have liked the sloppy conditions in last race in Arkansas.
6. Don’t Go Changing – Likes the distance and will be closing late in this two-turn affair.
5. Girl Named Charlie – Willing to throw out last race and look at the lone good turf start.
4. Oak Hill Mo – Showed some life in last start. Now gets jockey Green aboard for a shot.
5. Mr. Cromwell – First-time starter facing some horses who have lost quite a few races.
Around the Track
Good holiday card on tap Monday, but we look ahead to Saturday’s Road to the Louisiana Derby card which features six stakes races capped off by the Lecomte Stakes for three year olds. The 14-race card has an early first post time of noon and there are three turf races on tap. The Lecomte field is led by Instant Coffee, a Brad Cox trainee, who was the winner of the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes and will be ridden by Luis Saez.
Our Best Bet on Monday will be in Race 7: No. 6 Don’t Go Changing. Should relish the turf course set up for his closing kick.