Picks made today for wet track and no turf:
1. Punchie: Second start gets the rail and had some speed in debut; will be super long shot.
5. Vero Campione: Off a long layoff but showed some competitiveness last year at this track.
2. Isolation: Should get the wet track conditions he won on last time; tough to beat here.
6. Heart That Binds: Should get same sort of trip as when she ran well to be fourth; improves.
5. Celluloid Hero: Expecting some pace from this one under aggressive rider Marcelino Pedroza.
3. Kislovodsk: An actual winner albeit disqualified; should also show some speed stretching out.
1. Afikoman: Tough race to decipher; this one tries dirt for first time; might lead to improvement.
3. Peso in My Pocket: Drops down in class after a layoff; working well; sloppy track helps.
5. Motown Missile: Takes big drop in class; leading trainer and leading rider combine here.
1. Gluckstadt: Wiped out at the start in last; another chance given from the rail today.
2. Two Dot: Won’t mind the wet track; ran sneaky good race in last; should offer some value.
9. Impact Player: Another who will relish the wet track; jockey sticks on to ride after last.
6. Pacificislandtime: Has run very well on wet tracks; gets a good setup here at a nice price.
1. Play Mo: Won here a few weeks ago; now gets the rail to go for repeat; may need to improve.
2. Lincoln Production: Ran well first out to run second; any improvement takes this easy.
8. Grey Dane: Has had chances but now gets back to a preferred one turn sprint.
Around the track
Reylu Guiterrez leads all jockeys in wins (21) at the Fair Grounds after six weeks of racing. Hot on his heels after a huge week is last year’s winningest jockey, James Graham, with 20 wins. In the race for winningest trainer, Bret Calhoun continues to be hot and has racked up 16 wins and a gaudy 31% win rate. He leads the trio of Brad Cox, Ron Faucheux and Shane Wilson, who all have 10 wins so far.
Our best bet today will be a Daily Double staring in Race 6. Use the 2/9 with the 1/6. Lean on two best bets the No. 2 Two Dot in Race 6 and No. 6 Pacificislandtime in Race 7. Good luck and may they all come home safely.